A Jelly Baby Themed Evening
(officially aimed at Brownies, but everybody loves jelly babies, don't they?)
Begin by asking the girls how old they think jelly babies are. Tell them their original name was peace babies and they were produced at the end of WWI. See if any of the girls know when that was. They had to stop producing them during the Second World War – ask them why that might be. Explain a little about rationing and how it affected everyone. They were reborn as Jelly Babies in1953 (explain rationing didn’t stop as soon as war was over). How many jelly babies do they think are made in a year? Answer is – Over 1 billion!!
Jelly Babies Packaging Quiz
The Brownies sit in Sixes. Bags of jelly babies are placed in the centre of room. Read out the questions below and have the girls take it in turns to go and find out the answer – only one can go to the middle at a time!
- How many grams of jelly babies are in the packet?
- What colour are the words ‘jelly babies’ on the front of the packet?
- How many different baby shapes are there?
- What is the best before date on the jelly babies?
- What are the last 4 digits of the bar code?
- How many calories are there per 100g?
- Name three ingredients within the jelly babies
- What are the ‘storage instructions’?
- What five colours are the jelly babies on the packet?
- Who are they ‘specially made for’?
Design your own jelly baby
In sixes, you have been summoned by the Sweetie Company who want to make a new jelly baby! In your groups you must design how this jelly baby is going to look, and what flavour it will be. Make sure you give it a name too! (all the different colours have different names! – Brilliant, Bubbles, Boofuls, Bigheart, Bumper and Bonny) Make sure you give them a personality too!! You have a short time to design this Jelly baby, then you must present it to everyone else!
Jelly Babies are Active Game!
Jelly Babies love to have fun! They Like Skateboarding, Playing in the Jelly Baby Band and because they are babies they have to have lots of naps! The girls run around. Leaders shout one of these messages and girls do appropriate action. Last one left wins. The slowest jelly babies are out – or if they do the wrong action they are also out! Skateboarding – Stand on one leg, pretend to be skateboarding! Band Practise – play air guitar! Nap time – Lie on floor. Hungry belly – sit on floor and pretend to feed yourself! Playtime in 2/3/4’s – have to get together in groups of number called out.
Jelly Babies Spelling out Quiz
Each six is given a set of card pieces, each card containing one letter, so they have the set J, E, L, L, Y, B, A, B, I, E, S.
Read out statement, and girls have to stand up and spell out the answer (give further clues if necessary).
- Something wobbly to eat with ice cream – JELLY
- What you tell when you aren’t being truthful – LIES
- Something you need to play tennis or footie with - BALL
- Where you may go if you break the law – JAIL
- Something that rings – BELL
- When shops sell things cheaper – SALE
- What you have on the inside of your clothes, tells you washing instructions and stuff – LABEL
- A loud shout – YELL
- If it isn’t difficult then it is – EASY
- Another word for a beach or sandy cove – BAY
- Part of your body where you have a button – BELLY
- Part of a boat – SAIL
- What hay is grouped together to make – BALE
- Stripy insect that makes honey – BEE
- A very young child – BABY
Jelly Babies Tower
Each six is given some jelly babies and some cocktail sticks and they need to see how tall a tower they can make! (make sure to explain how to be safe with cocktail sticks)
Learn the jelly babies SONG! To the tune of Happy birthday!
Jelly Babies are fun,
They skip and they run,
I love jelly babies,
They're bright like the sun.
Jelly babies for me,
They're cute and cuddly,
I love jelly babies,
and I know they love me!
Finally…. Eat some Jelly Babies !